Sunday, April 05, 2009

Op/Ed: Listen Up, Warners, DC, Chris Nolan, Et All.

I am gonna let my nerd flag fly for a moment, and tell my opinion on a certain matter.

Of course last summer, The Dark Knight came out and blew everyone away, and of course, you wonderful people at WB want to make another one, and if Chris Nolan agrees, it'll be off.

Great. I can't wait.

But of course, as with any superhero film, the question is, who will be the villian. Now, since Dark Knight was released, a lot of speculation has floated around, but only one of those is a constant. The Riddler.

A few actors have been tossed around as possibles, and while that's normal Hollwood fiddle faddle, I actually have a suggestion.

DON'T cast Johnny Depp. A great actor to be sure, but I feel like casting him in this sort of role would be almost a cop-out. "We need quirky and wacky, get Depp"

DON'T cast Eddie Murphy. While that was a huge rumor (that has been since debunked) his name is still out there. He can be good (see his old standup, older films, Dreamgirls, ect.) but I don't think this is a role for him.

Here is my big suggestion for casting of the famed Puzzle master of Gotham...

Robin Williams. Bare with me...

Years ago, when Tim Burton was doing the Batman movies, Robin was at one point considered for The Joker...but was never a serious choice. They used him to get Jack Nicholson to lower his price. Of course he was upset...who wouldn't be? They then offered him the role of the Riddler in Batman Forever, and he would have done it if WB apologized for their actions (or so the story goes) and they didn't, so Jim Carrey took the role.

This would be a great way, WB, to say "We're Sorry" In recent years, I've seen Warners become one of the best companies out there for filmmaking, and it would make sense that the people who told New Line Cinema to get lost after they screwed over Peter Jackson would be able to apologize to Robin Williams.

He has also already worked with Chris Nolan before, and Nolan likes to use familiar actors. Chris, I don't know how well you guys got on on the set of Insomnia, but I think he'd make a perfect, unorthodox Riddler.

Riddler in recent years has taken on a more detective role in the comics, and that would be perfect for the Nolan world...I don't know how he'd work into the story, and I am not going to waste my time writing fan fiction...but I'll say this. Heath Ledger was a strange choice for Joker, and he turned in an incredible preformance...I imagine Robin Williams, one of the best (comedic or not) actors of his time could do something similar.

So what I am saying is...Warners, DC, Chris...please consider Mr. Williams for the role of the Riddler, should you decide to use the character in Batman 3.

That's all for now
Donald Hallene III

No comments: